Friday, November 22, 2013

Why being 22 is the worst (and best) time of your life.

It feels like one of those nights...where I need to drink a lot of wine, watch reruns of New Girl and The Mindy Project, and have a good old fashioned cry.

Everyone says that your 20's are the best time of your life, but I don't completely agree. Yes, there are some truly awesome times. But you know what? There are some truly terrible times too. I decided that instead of keeping all of these reasons to myself I should write them down somewhere. You know, in case anyone else feels like reading them.

1. People expect you to know what you want to do with your life.
2. If you are in a committed relationship people are surprised. You're so young after all.
3. If you are not in a committed relationship people are surprised. You are going to be an old maid.
4. If you enjoy the occasional drink with some friends people call you an alcoholic.
5. If you don't go out and drink with your friends people call you old.
6. We're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time. (Yes I stole that from my good friend T. Swift.)
7. If you still listen to T. Swift you will be mocked by music snobs. (I just don't care.)
8. Life is so full of possibilities, if only you know how to grab them.
9. I don't know how to grab them, or even what I want to grab.
10. All of your good friends might be getting engaged, and you are very happy for them. (Really) Or maybe you secretly aren't. Either way it's okay.
11. All of your good friends might be getting engaged and that might make you feel like you are way behind in this game called life, but then one day you will realize that everyone has their own timeline. Yours just   doesn't match up with all of your engaged friends. And it's okay.
12. One day you have to (finally) stand up for yourself, and your dreams, and your needs. Yes, people might be upset by the choices that you make, but in the end you are the only one that needs to be happy. And yes, I realize that this is so hard to do, I struggle with it daily. But it's the stone cold truth. Deal with it.


So I only have 12 reasons so far. But I feel like that's enough for the moment. I can add more later right? I still have quite a few years left of my 20's. 


1 comment:

  1. Keep up your blogging Tayleranne.. I always thought you would be a good writer. Cathy Kaech

    ReplyDelete